1. Get hot under the collar = angry or embarrassed >< cool and calm
When I suggested he was mistaken, Mark got hot under the collar and stormed out of
2. Bruises over the body: Đầy những vết bầm trên cơ thể
With so many bruises over the body, it is obvious that the child has had a bad fall.
3. Be a big hit = very popular and successful: Rất nổi tiếng/ thành công
The new movie was a big hit as tickets for most of the showings were sold out.
4. reserve one’s judgement: Chưa vội đưa ra phán xét/ quyết định
Being a wise politician, Mr Brown tends to reserve his judgement till he knows all the
5. Be part and parcel: Là điều hiển nhiên, không thể tránh khỏi
Having your private life splashed across the front pages of newspapers and glossy
magazines is a part and parcel of being a celebrity.
6. To be financially independent: Tự chủ tài chính
Mary has been financially independent since she went out to work.
7. Be under threat of extinction: Có nguy cơ tuyệt chủng
Many animal species are under threat of extinction because of widespread
8. Do more harm than good: Gây hại nhiều hơn lợi
Experts agree that too hard workouts may do more harm than good.
9. Extend one’s gratitude to SO for ST: Thể hiện sự biết ơn với ai vì điều gì
10. Unfailing support: Sự hỗ trợ liên tục, không ngừng nghỉ
The director extended his gratitude to all the staff for their unfailing support, without
which the company couldn’t have overcome its difficult time.
11. In the best possible light: Xuất hiện voi dien mao đẹp đẽ nhất
As users can create their own profiles, you might expect them to portray themselves in
the best possible light.
12. This is not a case: Không đúng, không thật
According to a recent study conducted on 250 Facebook users, this is not the case.
13. Depict one’s personalities: Mô tả tính cách ai đó
It is not entirely clear why online profiles depict user’s personalities accurately.
14. Fail to do ST = cannot do ST: Không thể làm gì
It could be that users want to portray themselves as they really are, or that people
attempt to present an ideal image of themselves but fail to do so.
15. Produce civilized young people: Sản sinh ra những người trẻ văn minh
16. Appreciate arts and culture: Coi trọng nghệ thuật và văn hóa
School exists to produce civilized young people who appreciate the arts and culture.
17. See ST as a luxury: Xem cái gì là một thứ xa xỉ
Field trips are an obvious thing to cut since they are seen by many as a luxury.
18. Consider ST a waste of time: Xem việc gì đó là lãng phí thời gian
A large number of school heads also consider days spent away school a waste of time.
19. Afford to be smug: Cố gắng tự làm hài lòng/ thỏa mãn
He can afford to be smug.
20. Live off-grid and self-sufficiency: Sống tự túc
For all of the people who live off-grid, self-sufficiency means guilt-free energy
consumption and peace of mind.
21. There is no doubt that + Clause: Không có gì nghi ngờ nữa
There is no doubt that being off-grid has its problems and it is not always the cheapest
ways to get the energy you need.
22. To be worth doing ST: đáng để làm gì
That has got to be worth aiming for.
23. Adopt an off-grid lifestyle: theo một lối sống tự túc
Adopting an off-grid lifestyle is suitable for low-income people.
24. Make a miraculous recovery: có sự hồi phục kỳ diệu
The English patient made a miraculous recovery from Covid-19.
Học viện IELTS Xuân Phi – Chuyên IELTS Online Cá nhân hóa!